Sunday 9 September 2007

Still strolling






Suddenly I am overwhelmed to know who these men are and why they were of such importance to Quebec. I should have payed more attention at the time or researched it better but alas I have been somewhat remiss in posting these pics and the memories have faded somewhat.

I found out that Louis Hébert (photo's # 2 and 3) is the first Canadian apothecary as well as the first European to farm in Canada. I think that is why his statue is a double one showing him reaping his harvest and standing beside his plough. On the other side of this statue are bronzes of his wife marie Rollet and their children.

Photo # 4 shows Samuel de Champlain, the founder of Quebec City and father of "New France". Countless streets, avenues, statues, bridges, squares can be found all over Quebec commemorating this historical figure

Laval (photo 5) is a name I remember so well. Not only did Clément go to Laval University, so does Laurie. François-Xavier de Montmorency-Laval was the first Bishop of what was then known as New France and started the "Séminaire de Québec", a theological school which eventually also had lay students and finally became Université Laval. His sarcophagus can be found in the Cathedral in Quebec. We went in there but sadly, or should I say as usual, none of the photo's I took inside are any good.

That still leaves me with the first statue. I have no idea who it is.

No comments: