Sunday 23 September 2007

Le Fontaine Quebecoise

Browsing the net I still haven't found out the name of this fountain. For now I'll just call it Le Fontaine Quebecoise. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I do find it a strange structure in a sense. It looks like it belongs on top of a church spire. The flying butresses, buttress pier and the pinnacle's surrounding the central structure give it a Gothic appearance as do the decorative crockets above the arches. And on top a religious figure holding a cross. There are definitely references being made to church architecture on every level. The regal lions spouting water, the essence of life, a reference to the kingdom of heaven, the bounty to be found there and life never ending?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry, I don't know the name of the fontain but I recognise it: it's in the middle of "la place d'Armes". It was inaugurate in 1916 (the fontain) and, as I remember, it's a gift in honnor of the Récollets (priest) to honnor the faith...
-xxx-
Lau

P.s. Pratice your french at : http://grandquebec.com/capitale-quebec/place-armes-quebec/ for more information! :-)